In classes for middle school I give out a lot of stickers to students who answer questions. It isn’t that they are really into stickers, but they are put in a book and then later checked by the teacher as a means of measuring participation. Well, they had always been really boring stickers, the generic shapes with things like ”Way to GOOOOO!!!” an such, or just pictures of mundane objects. I don’t consider a cartoony car or bus to be any bit titillating. I was starting to lose faith in this system, that these pupils blindly adhered to, but then, it all changed. I was given new sheet of stickers that were flags of different nations. A light went off in my mind, I decided to let the students pick their own so that I could see what countries were REALLY the best, at least in their eyes.
The Results –
1. America – This shouldn’t prove all that surprising, considering where their awesome teacher is from. And Amuurica is the best. Red,white, and blue.
2. Japan – Again, no surprises here, just a little bit of patriotism is all.
3. Canada – This may be surprising to some, but their last teacher was from Canada. The definitive results of this experiment are undoubtedly an unexpected blow to his psyche.
4. Brazil – There is a lot of involvement with this economy by the Japanese, and I’ve met a number of people who want to live and work there.
5. Germany 6. Italy 7. United Kingdom
8. Nigeria – No way this flag was chosen on anything by looks. Nigeria wishes that it could truly be this popular.
9. South Africa 10. Spain 11. Switzerland 12. Czech Republic 13. Egypt
14. France – Low on the list, no surprises here at all.
15. Mexico 16. Argentina 17. Ethiopia 18. Denmark
19. Russia – Humiliation status right here
20. India 21. Turkey 22. Columbia 23. Indonesia 24. Sweeden
25. Ukraine…Ukraine. Clearly, nobody like the Ukraine. I don’t blame them though, I don’t know a single thing about the country other than is location and involvement in Risk.
Twas an enlightening experience indeed.